Sanderson High School was established in 1968. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges and the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Student enrolment for the 2008-2009 school year was 1,964 and teaching staff was 133. Sanderson operates on a modified 4x4 block schedule. Sanderson High School has been recognized for both high levels of growth and mastery on student End-of-Course exams.
The purpose of the Sanderson Community is to identify and address the unique learning needs of the individual.
- 23 teachers with National Board Certification
- 58 teachers with Graduate Degrees
- 25 teachers with Mentor Certification
- Rhodes Stephanie, WCPSS TOY 2010-2011
- Jasmine Hart, WCPSS TOY Semifinalist, 2008-2009
- Taela George-East, WCPSS TOY Top 10, 2007-2008
- Katie Ewing, WCPSS TOY Top 10, 2006-2007
- Col. Robert Penny, 2001-2002, 2004-2005, 2008-2009
- TSgt. Susan Croom, 2001-2002, 2008-2009
Principal of the Year (POY)
- Cathy Q. Moore, WCPSS POY, 2007-2008
- Cathy Q. Moore, NCPOY Top 10, 2007-2008
Assistant Principal of the Year (APOY)
- Elizabeth Battle, WCPSS APOY Finalist, 2007-2008
Student Activities and Organizations
Sanderson High School offers a variety of activities and organizations to meet the needs of the student population and promote whole student development. Such programs include academic student organizations, performing arts programs and student interest clubs. All student activities and organizations are advised by a Sanderson staff member.